Saturday 29 May 2010

Sweet Raspberry Victoria Sponge


I’m heading over to my ‘mother in law’ this weekend, formally known as my boyfriend’s mother. It’s her birthday and all the family will be there, she’s a housewife and a fantastic cook. I wanted to give her a lovely treat for all the family so I chose the gorgeous sweet raspberry Victoria sponge. This cake is a classic and so simple to create.

I start off by pulling down my biggest bowl and weighing 225g of golden caster sugar. I open out 225g of butter pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds to make it go soft and then blend the sugar and butter together with a whisk until creamy and fluffy.


Lightly I whisk four eggs with a fork into a small bowl and gradually add the eggs into my creamy mix. I whisk them together for a few seconds to make sure they are well combined. At the moment it may look a bit lumpy but that is when you need to add the self-raising flour. I weigh out 225g of self-raising flour and add it to my mix and vigorously mix it with a wooden spoon until no flour can be seen anymore.

Next I spoon in the mix with a wooden spoon and a tablespoon into two round cake tins evenly. The cake tins I use are soft flexible ones these ensure that when they come out of the oven I can easily push the cake out of the tin without having to shake it out. I smooth down the top with the back of the tablespoon to make sure it rises evenly in the oven.

Finally I pop it in the oven at 180c and let it rise for about 25 minutes until its golden brown and smelling amazing.

Afterwards I let it cool down in its tin and then carefully lift the tin upside down onto a plate.

Jammy goodness

I pour in two handfuls worth of raspberries into a pan, add two tablespoons of orange juice and a generous serving of a tablespoon of golden caster sugar.

It is left to simmer for 15-20 mins until the raspberries have disintegrated and the result is soft sweet jam.


When it is ready I take the jam off the heat and let it cool and turn soft. I then spread it onto one of the cakes.

The top cake is placed ready for the cream.

The Best Buttercream

150g of icing sugar and 150g of butter is weighed out and put into a bowl, I add a teaspoon of vanilla for flavour and whisk them. I step well back at this point – essential if you want to avoid being smothered in icing sugar!
The rest of the mix is stirred with a wooden spoon and I taste it thinking I must not eat it all now and spoon all of it on the top of the cake.

For the finish I chop up some strawberries and lay them on the top of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment