Sunday 3 October 2010

Rhubarb Muffins

I had leftover cuts of rhubarb in the freezer and decided to use them up by baking some soft and sweet muffins. This recipe I got out of my muffin cookbook, which always seems to turn out delicious (and large!) muffins. You can also substitute the rhubarb for blueberries, peaches or anything else similar.

Recipe

280g Plain Flour (or self raising flour but if using self-raising take out the baking powder)
2 and half teaspoons Baking Powder
Half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Half teaspoon salt
1 Egg
140g Fine white sugar
Half teaspoon almond essence
150ml sour cream
120 ml milk
60ml Vegetable oil
As much rhubarb as you want

I get a large bowl and sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together.
In a separate medium sized bowl I beat the egg with a fork and stir in the sugar, almond essence, sour cream, milk and oil. I give it a good stir and then pour the wet mixture into the dry. I fold it until almost combined and then sprinkle the rhubarb into the mix. Finally I combine the last of it and then pour into muffin sized cups.

I bake for 20 minutes until they bounce back to the touch.
I decide not to create any topping as the rhubarb seems to do all the work in making the muffin look and taste amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment